Friday, 23 April 2021 08:35 GMT

Rajasthan HC raps police for not heeding 'love jihad' complaint

(MENAFN - NewsBytes)

Rajasthan HC raps police for not heeding 'love jihad' complaint
02 Nov 2017

The Rajasthan HC has rapped the state police for not heeding an alleged case of 'love jihad' and refusing to file an FIR.

A 22-year-old woman's family has alleged she was blackmailed and forcefully converted to Islam by one Faiz Modi.

But Faiz had already submitted certificates of marriage and religious conversion.

Did police probe the authenticity of the conversion certificate, the HC asked.

What happened, according to the girl's family?

According to the girl's family, Faiz had been harassing her since long, then he abducted her.

He blackmailed her with objectionable pictures and forced her to sign conversion papers. He also made fake marriage documents.

As argument, their lawyer said the girl was staying with her family till October while the documents were dated April.

But police apparently refused to file an FIR.

HC passes directions to state government, police

The HC rapped police for their "negligence" and directed them to probe the alleged case of 'love jihad'; the lawyer claimed there are many such cases being reported.

It also asked the state government to clarify laws relating to religious conversion in Rajasthan.

For now, the girl would be shifted to a women's shelter and is to interact with no one, the court ordered.

Even the SC is hearing a 'love jihad' case

This comes even as the SC hears a similar case about a Kerala couple. The Kerala HC had annulled their marriage when the girl's father complained but Shafin Jahan, the husband, challenged the decision in the SC. Now the court wants the girl to testify.


Legal Disclaimer:
MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.