Monday, 16 September 2019 06:38 GMT
img

Morocco Condemns Thwarted Terrorist Attack Against Great Mosque of Mecca




(MENAFN - Morocco World News) Rabat - Morocco has strongly condemned the aborted terrorist attack that targeted the Mosque in the Muslim holy city of Mecca, according to a statement released by Morocco's ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation on Saturday.

The attack was thwarted as thousands of the faithful gathered for the night of closing of the Holy Qur'an at the end of the holy month of Ramadan on Friday.

The ministry said that the terrorist plot was a blatant attack on the millions of Muslims around the world, adding that Morocco applauds the vigilance and preparedness of the Saudi security services, which managed to thwart the "despicable" criminal attempt to destroy one of the most sacred and holy places in the world.

The statement emphasized Morocco's unwavering support for Saudi Arabia in its efforts to defend and protect its citizens, as well as the many visitors to all the Holy Places of Islam, from this sort of barbarism.

On Friday, Saudi Arabian media reported that the failed attacks had been designed to target mosque-goers, before security forces discovered two groups of terrorists in Mecca and a third group in the city of Jeddah. Five people were arrested, including one woman.

Security forces pre-empted two planned terrorist attacks in Mecca's Assila district and Ajyad al-Masafi neighborhood, said Saudi Arabian Interior Minister, Mansour al-Turki. While two separate attacks were planned in Mecca, a third was targeted in Jeddah.

The minister added that after the security forces had cornered one perpetrator in an apartment, he blew himself up, injuring six civilians. Five members of the security forces sustained minor injuries.

Edited by Elisabeth Myers

MENAFN2506201701600000ID1095580959


Morocco Condemns Thwarted Terrorist Attack Against Great Mosque of Mecca

  Most popular stories  

Day | Week | Month