IS claims killing of Yemeni governor in car bombing| MENAFN.COM

Monday, 27 June 2022 11:36 GMT

IS claims killing of Yemeni governor in car bombing


(MENAFN- Daily News Egypt) The "Islamic State" (IS) militant group claimed responsibility for a car bombing that killed the governor of the southern Yemeni city of Aden on Sunday.

Major-General Jaafar Mohammed Saad was killed along with at least five of his entourage in a huge explosion, according to security sources. A convoy carrying Saad was attacked in the Tawahi area of the major port city while the governor was heading to work.

In a statement on Sunday, IS said it was behind the attack as they detonated a car fitted with explosives as Saad's convoy was passing. The group said eight of the governor's bodyguards were killed in the attack.

Security officials and residents said the attackers appear to hhave used rocket-propelled grenades to carry out the attack.

IS also threatened to launch more attacks against the "infidels" in their statement on Twitter.

Houthi rebels have seized large areas of the country's territory with a growing control over the capital Sana'a last year. The government troops, backed by a Saudi-led coalition, drove the Houthis out of Aden and recaptured the city earlier this year.

Saad was appointed as Aden's governor on 9 October. He was partially responsible for setting up the plan to liberate Aden. Saad was close to President Abdrabuh Mansur Hadi who returned to Aden in November after months in exile in Saudi Arabia.

Following his appointment, Saad said he aimed to achieve security and stability within the province.


Legal Disclaimer:
MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.