Wednesday, 07 June 2023 03:07 GMT

Fresh fighting erupts in South Sudan

(MENAFN- The Peninsula) South Sudan's army and rebels accused each other of responsibility for fresh fighting yesterday in the north-east despite a peace agreement to end a brutal 20-month civil war.

The renewed clashes came after the pact, brokered by the regional eight-nation IGAD bloc along with the United Nations, the African Union, China, Britain, Norway and the United States, provided for a permanent ceasefire supposed to enter into force yesterday.

"Riek Machar's rebels attacked Malakal yesterday," Friday, and the "assault on Malakal resumed this (Saturday) morning," army spokesman Colonel Philip Aguer said at a press conference.

"That's untrue, their forces attacked us near Malakal," rebel spokesman James Gatdet Dak told AFP, referring to a strategic northeastern town and a gateway to the country's last remaining major oil fields.

"They wanted to seize the area before the ceasefire comes into effect," he said.

It was not immediately clear if the ceasefire had entered into force yesterday afternoon in the world's newest nation which broke away from Sudan four years ago. Dak said it was supposed to come into effect at midnight (2100 GMT Saturday).

The accord, signed by rebel leader Machar on August 17 and the government only on Wednesday, gave a 72-hour deadline for a permanent cessation of hostilities.

Aguer said the rebels attacked Malakal, the state capital of Upper Nile, overnight "using mortars and machineguns" and resumed shelling yesterday.

He said one government soldier was wounded, adding: "Though the army is committed to the spirit of peace and welcome the internationally supported peace initiative, (it has) all the rights for self defence and for protection of Malakal town and the surrounding areas."

South Sudan's civil war began in December 2013 when President Salva Kiir accused his former deputy Riek Machar of planning a coup, setting off a cycle of retaliatory killings across the country that has split the poverty-stricken, landlocked country along ethnic lines.

Facing the threat of international sanctions, Kiir finally signed the deal this week but annexed a list of reservations that he said would have to be addressed for the deal to take hold.

Machar, for his part, has said the reservations cast "doubts" on the government's commitment.

The UN Security Council on Friday called for the ceasefire to begin immediately and threatened sanctions against those who undermine the accord.

Machar's spokesman, Nyarji Roman, earlier yesterday said the former vice president had ordered his rebel troops to lay down their arms in line with the accord.

Machar "gave a declaration of a permanent ceasefire to his troops last night," the spokesman told AFP.

Kiir's spokesman, Ateny Wek Ateny, told AFP on Friday the president had ordered the entire army "to stop shooting and remain in their barracks where they are, but they can shoot in self-defence once attacked".

Two powerful rebel generals, Peter Gadet and Gathoth Gatkuoth, split from Machar earlier this month, accusing him of seeking power for himself.

Legal Disclaimer:
MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.