Tuesday, 02 January 2024 12:17 GMT

Egypt court rules Hamas armed wing 'terror group'


(MENAFN- Arab News) Cairo: An Egyptian court on Saturday banned the armed wing of Palestinian Islamist movement Hamas declaring it a 'terrorist' group.

Hamas which controls the Gaza Strip denounced the ruling against the Ezzedine Al-Qassam Brigades as 'a dangerous political decision that serves the interests of the occupier' referring to Israel.

Since Egypt's military ousted Islamist president Muhammad Mursi in 2013 the authorities have accused Hamas of aiding jihadists who have waged a string of deadly attacks on security forces in the Sinai Peninsula.

Saturday's court verdict followed a complaint from a lawyer accusing the Hamas armed wing of direct involvement in 'terrorist operations' in the Sinai which borders Gaza a court official said.

The lawyer also accused the movement of using tunnels under the frontier between Egypt and Gaza to smuggle arms used in attacks against the police and army the official said.

Egypt's military says it has destroyed more than 1600 tunnels since Mursi's ouster.

In the ruling the judge said that 'the documents submitted by the plaintiff to the court showed that the organization has conducted attacks... that targeted the military and the Egyptian police and facilities.'

There was no immediate response to the court ruling from the Ezzedine Al-Qassam Brigades itself but a Hamas spokesman in Gaza said the armed wing should not be dragged into 'Egypt's internal affairs.'

In early January Egypt began work on doubling the width of a buffer zone along the border with Gaza to prevent militants infiltrating from the enclave.

The buffer zone was created following a suicide bombing on October 24 last year that killed 30 Egyptian soldiers and wounded scores.

After that incident Cairo declared a three-month state of emergency in parts of North Sinai a remote but strategic region bordering Israel and Gaza.

Last week the decree was extended by three months.

On Thursday militant attacks including a car bombing claimed by the Egyptian affiliate of the Islamic State (IS) group left at least 30 people dead in North Sinai.

The following day a 50-year-old Egyptian interior ministry employee was shot dead in his home in the provincial capital El-Arish officials said.

Jihadists in the Sinai have killed scores of policemen and soldiers since Mursi's overthrow vowing revenge against a crackdown on his supporters that has killed more than 1400 people.

Egypt blames Hamas which is close to Mursi's Muslim Brotherhood of supporting the blacklisted Egyptian movement.

Last March Cairo banned and outlawed Hamas operations on Egyptian soil ordering the freezing of its assets.

Despite worsening relations between Hamas and the regime of President Abdel Fattah El-Sissi the former army chief and architect of Mursi's fall Cairo continues to play its traditional role of mediator between Hamas and Israel including during last summer's war in Gaza.









Arab News

Legal Disclaimer:
MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.



Search