(MENAFN - Morocco World News) Rabat – Saudi authorities thwarted a terrorist attack on the Grand Mosque in the Muslim holy city of Mecca on Friday, local media reported, saying that the failed attacks had been planned to target the mosque-goers.
Stated-owned Television channel, Al Arabiya, reported that security forces found two groups of terrorists in Mecca and a third group in the city of Jeddah.
Five people were arrested, including one woman, said Al Arabiya.
Security forces pre-empted planned terrorist attacks in Mecca's Assila district and Ajyad al-Masafi neighborhood, said Saudi Interior Ministry, Mansour al-Turki.
The minister added that the perpetrator then blew himself up, injuring six civilians. Five members of the security forces sustained minor injuries.
He went on to add that two separate attacks were planned in Mecca and a third in Jeddah.