Gas leak from fertiliser plant sickens 100 people
(MENAFN - Gulf Times) More than 100 people fell ill in Bangladesh after inhaling gas that leaked from a fertiliser factory in the port town of Chittagong, officials said yesterday.
Police and the fire brigade worked to contain the spread of ammonia that began on Monday night and authorities were able to plug a leaking pipe after several hours, said Mesbah Uddin, the district";s deputy commissioner.
'The leakage has been repaired but a few hours more will be needed to get the situation back to normal,” Uddin said. Safety standards in Bangladesh have come under an international spotlight in recent years after a series of fires in garment factories, and the collapse of a garment factory complex, in which many hundreds of workers have been killed.
Uddin said about 50 people remained in hospital yesterday afternoon. The rest had been sent home after treatment.
Legal Disclaimer: MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.