(MENAFN - The Journal Of Turkish Weekly) >The death toll from floods and landslides in Indonesia’s Java island has risen to 47, with 15 other people still missing Monday.
A spokesman for the national disaster management agency told Anadolu Agency that search and rescue teams are continuing to search for missing people believed to have been buried over the weekend by landslides in Central Java province, especially in Purworejo Regency -- the most severely affected area.
"The total victims of floods and landslides in Central Java was 47 killed and 15 missing," Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said.
He added that while the rescue operation had been launched to cover a seven-day period, set to end Friday, “if necessary, the search term can be extended."
He advised residents in the area to remain alert amid the threat of additional flooding and landslides.
On Sunday, Nugroho told Anadolu Agency on Sunday that 16 districts and cities in the province had been affected, leaving hundreds of houses damaged and economic losses of billions of rupiah (millions of dollars).
By Ainur Rohmah