Sunday, 22 September 2019 08:07 GMT

'Lightning' Bolt Perfect Again

(MENAFN - Arab Times) Usain Bolt capped a memorable world championships by winning a third gold on Saturday as anchor of Jamaica's 4x100m relay team, while the United States were disqualified to hand China a shock silver.

Bolt ran a blistering final leg at a packed Bird's Nest stadium, hurtling through the line in 37.36 seconds after team-mates Nesta Carter, Asafa Powell and Nickel Ashmeade had successfully got the baton around.

The victory gave Bolt his 11th world gold medal - his only blemish being the 100m at the 2011 Daegu worlds, when he was disqualified after a false start.

The US quartet of 100m bronze and silver medallists Trayvon Bromell and Justin Gatlin, and fellow finalists Tyson Gay and Mike Rodgers, were initially awarded silver before being disqualified over a botched final handover which strayed beyond the passover limit. China, headed by individual 100m finalist Su Bingtian, delighted the home crowd when they were upgraded to silver in 38.01sec, while Canada moved up to bronze (38.13). There was a distinctly gladiatorial atmosphere in the Bird's Nest as all teams entered the arena through a traditional Chinese facade, passing cheerleaders and flagbearers to be introduced to a raucous capacity crowd.

Racing in lane four, Carter's opening leg for Jamaica saw him slip slightly down on Bromell. Powell ran his second leg in full chase of Gatlin, silver medallist to Bolt in both the 100 and 200m, in lane six.

Ashmeade took up the chase for Jamaica around the back bend, but Gay had his beating and it looked as if Bolt would not have a genuine chance of catching the Americans.

But there was a disaster as Gay's handover to Rodgers misfired and went outside the baton-passing area, leading to the US team being disqualified.

Ashmeade had no such problem with his own baton pass to Bolt, and suddenly the towering Jamaican had a clear run at the line. Straight into the lead with Rodgers searching in thin air for the baton behind him, Bolt opened up all cylinders to race through for victory at what could be his last world championships.

Mo Farah became the first man to win back-to-back world distance doubles when he stormed to 5,000 metres victory at Beijing's Bird's Nest stadium on Saturday.

The Briton, rocked this season by doping allegations against his coach, put the row behind him as he produced a devastating final 80 metres to romp home in 13min 50.38sec. Kenyan Caleb Ndiku, in 13: 51.75, held on for silver after making a valiant break with 800m to run. Ethiopian Hagos Gebrhiwet took bronze.

The victory for Farah, who won the 10,000m on the opening weekend, seals a unique "triple double" of distance titles at consecutive world championships and the London Olympics.

"Tonight I had to dig deep, it came down to the last 100 metres," said the Somali-born Farah, 32. "I felt a bit tired going through the rounds and coming back again.

"It's difficult as everybody has got great speed and there are a lot of guys capable of winning. They went for it. The important thing was to win the race and I did that!"

Farah's victory gave him an unprecedented seventh successive distance win at world championships and Olympics, stretching back to his 5,000m gold at Daegu in 2011. His double matched that of sprinter Usain Bolt, with whom Farah came through youth and junior ranks, after the Jamaican successfully defended his 100m and 200m titles. Farah's British team-mate Tom Farrell led the slow opening pace for the 15-man field of the 12-and-a-half laps of the Bird's Nest stadium in warm, windless conditions.

Farah parked himself at the back of the pack as American pair Ben True and Galen Rupp, Farah's training partner under embattled coach Alberto Salazar in Oregon, followed Farrell. With seven laps to run, Farah started moving up the field, having to push veteran Imane Merga in the back and onwards as the Ethiopian also harried his way past and into the lead.

Farah settled back into his stride as the peloton massed close together again, Merga's surge easily absorbed.

Farah found himself setting the pace with four laps to go, lengthening his stride as Ethiopian team tactics kicked in and they jostled for position, muscling Kenyan-born Bahraini Albert Rop out of the picture. The real kick came with 800 metres to run, Ndiku stretching out the field for the first time with an impressive turn of pace.

As the bell for the final lap rang, the Commonwealth champion and reigning world indoor 3000m gold medallist from Kenya remained at the front, chased by Farah and Gebrhiwet at full tilt. Farah failed to catch the Kenyan around the bend, but coming into the final straight, the Londoner rounded Ndiku to roars from a packed crowd with an amazing turn of speed for an ultimately comfortable victory. Ethiopian Yomif Kejelcha, the world's fastest performer in 2015, came in fourth ahead of Rupp and True.

'Lightning' Bolt Perfect Again

  Most popular stories  

Day | Week | Month