( MENAFN Editorial )
The improving performance of Japanese net exports has played a part in helping the wider economy emerge from recession providing a boost to the country's shipping industry over the short term. However that said we do not expect the gains in net exports attributable to the weak yen to spill over into 2015 to a large extent as the real effective gains in the yen over the past few months together with the collapse in oil prices should drive up imports relative to exports.
In 2015 growth across the freight modes in Japan is expected to be fairly muted with rail freight set to lead the way in tonnage throughput handled annual gains. While rail freight will see 3.1% year-on-year (y-o-y) growth air and road will not perform at this level with y-o-y increases of just 1.20% and 0.90% pencilled in.
Headline Industry Data
Full Report Details at
* Air freight tonnage is forecast to grow by 1.20% y-o-y in 2015 to 3.06mn tonnes comparable to estimated 2014 growth of 1.10%.
* Road freight tonnes hauled in 2015 forecast to grow 0.90% to 4.47bn tonnes.
* Rail freight tonnage will increase by 3.1% in 2015 to 46.27mn tonnes.
* Port of Tokyo 2015 tonnage throughput forecast to grow 1.92% to 91.16mn tonnes.
* Port of Nagoya 2015 tonnage throughput forecast to grow 2.85% to 226.83mn tonnes.
* The real value of Japanese trade will grow by 3.83% in 2015. Exports will grow by 3.5% behind imports which will gain 4.2%.
Key Trends And Developments
Japan Post Buys Toll - Japan Post which is government owned is set to purchase Toll Holdings for USD5.1bn it was announced in February 2015. The acquisition of Australia's freight and logistics firm is set to make Japan Post a leading logistics player on the world stage. Under the terms of the deal Toll will retain its name and run as a division under Japan Post.
JAL Applies To MLIT For Revision Of International Cargo Fuel Surcharge - Japan's Ministry of Land Infrastructure Transport and Tourism (MLIT) has received application from...
The Japan Freight Transport Report has been researched at source and features latest-available data covering commercial transport and logistics by road rail air and water; industry forecasts company rankings covering leading national and multinational operators; and analysis of latest industry trends opportunities projects and regulatory changes.
BMI Research's Japan Freight Transport Report provides industry professionals and strategists sector analysts investors trade associations and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive intelligence on the Japanese freight transport and logistics industry.
* Benchmark BMI's independent freight transport industry forecasts on Japan to test other views - a key input for successful budgetary and planning in the strategic freight transport market.
* Target business opportunities and risks in the Japanese freight transport sector through our reviews of latest industry trends regulatory changes and major deals projects and investments in Japan.
* Assess the activities strategy and market position of your competitors partners and clients via our Company Profiles (inc. SWOTs KPIs and latest activity).
BMI Industry View
Summary of BMI’s key industry forecasts views and trend analysis covering freight transport and logistics regulatory changes major investments and projects and significant national and multinational company developments.
Industry SWOT Analysis
Analysis of the major strengths weaknesses opportunities and threats within the freight transport sector and within the broader political economic and business environment.
BMI Industry Forecasts
Historic data series (2008-2012) and forecasts to end-2019 for all key industry and economic indicators (see list below) supported by explicit assumptions plus analysis of key downside risks to the main forecast including:
* Transport Sector: Total freight carried by road rail inland waterways maritime air and pipeline (mn tonnes-km/mn tonnes).
* Trade: Exports and imports (USDmn) by category of goods (manufactured goods food chemicals etc.); top five import and export trade partners (USDmn); imports/exports to each global region (USDmn)
* Port Data: Throughput (‘000 tonnes) for all major ports in the state.
* Oil Products Prices: Price forecasts for gasoline and aviation fuel (USD/bbl) at all major global energy trading hubs.
* Economic Indicators: Nominal GDP (USDbn); real GDP growth (%); GDP per capita (USD); industrial production (%); unemployment (%)
Details of the freight infrastructure in each state by segment (road rail air water and pipelines). Full analysis of the competitive landscape within each segment.
Industry Trends and Developments
Analysis of the latest projects across the freight transport sector (road rail air sea and logistics) including a market overview which provides an outline of the key elements driving development.
The Freight Transport market reports contain a chapter detailing the political outlook of a given region examining the domestic politics long-term outlook and foreign policy and assessing the impact this could have on freight and transport businesses.
Examines the short- to medium-term business strategies of key industry players. Strategy is examined within the context of BMI’s industry forecasts our macroeconomic views and our understanding of the wider competitive landscape to generate company SWOT analyses.
The latest financial and operating statistics and key company developments are also incorporated within the company profiles enabling a full evaluation of recent company performance and future growth prospects.
The Freight Transport reports draw on an extensive network of primary sources such as multilateral organisations government departments industry associations chambers and company reports
About Fast Market Research
Fast Market Research is a leading distributor of market research and business information. Representing the world's top research publishers and analysts we provide quick and easy access to the best competitive intelligence available. Our unbiased expert staff is always available to help you find the right research to fit your requirements and your budget.
For more information about these or related research reports please visit our website at http://www.fastmr.com or call us at 1.800.844.8156 (1.413.485.7001 Int'l)
Legal Disclaimer: MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.