Monday, 16 September 2019 06:55 GMT
img

Blair not forced out of Mideast role, US official says




(MENAFN - Jordan News Agency) Washington denied late Monday there had been any move to push Tony Blair out of his role as envoy to the Middle East Quartet, as he appears poised to relinquish the post.

Reports that the former British prime minister was leaving due to unease in Washington and Europe over his poor relations with the Palestinian Authority were "incorrect," said US State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki.

"There has been no effort to push him out of his current role as Quartet representative," she told reporters.

Blair has been "a valued partner in the effort to bring peace to the Middle East. We'll continue to value his support, and the United States was "grateful for his service and efforts on his behalf of the Quartet for the past eight years, she added.

The Financial Times said Sunday that Blair was stepping down after eight years in the job, and was preparing to take up a new role which could be announced later in the week.


Blair not forced out of Mideast role, US official says

Authors_Square_PromoteArticle_Ink2019

  Most popular stories  

Day | Week | Month