Saturday, 04 December 2021 05:59 GMT

Death toll rises to 58 in Nigeria mosque attack


(MENAFN- Trend News Agency ) The death toll from a suicide attack inside a local mosque in the northeastern Nigeria town of Mubi on Tuesday has risen to 58, a senior health official said on Wednesday.

Ezra Sakawa, principal medical director of Mubi General Hospital, told reporters that the hospital received 48 victims, eight of whom died while receiving treatment.

Local police put the death toll at 50 on Tuesday, saying the dawn attack was perpetrated by an unidentified teenage boy who set off the suicide vest he wore to the mosque in a suburban town of Mubi in the northern state of Adamawa.

The teenage attacker detonated the bomb immediately after the prayers inside the local mosque.
Nigerian leader Muhammadu Buhari condemned the suicide bombing, describing it as "very cruel and dastardly."

No group has so far claimed responsibility for the suicide blas, but terror group Boko Haram is being suspected to have carried out the attack.

In October 2014, Mubi was captured and under the control of Boko Haram.

Less than a month later, government forces conquered Boko Haram in the town and recaptured the town from them.

The attack early Tuesday was the first in the town since it was recaptured from Boko Haram three years ago.

Boko Haram has been blamed for the death of more than 20,000 people and displacement of 2.3 million others in Nigeria since 2009.

MENAFN2211201701870000ID1096131435


Legal Disclaimer:
MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.