(MENAFN- Morocco World News) Rabat – The Moroccan government has announced its "categoric rejection" of on the ongoing protests in , in an official response published by the Interdepartmental Delegation of Human Rights (DIDH). Once again, the kingdom has accused the NGO of "unprofessionalism" and "prejudice."
, the Moroccan government has delivered its official response to HRW's edifying report on the unrest in Al Hoceima, breathing more fire into the already growing tensions between the kingdom and the NGO.
HRW's report, published Sept. 5, received numerous criticisms by the DIDH. In a statement issued on Sept. 15, the institution stressed that the report "contains unfounded allegations and errors concerning the management and treatment by public authorities of events in the region [Al Hoceima] and its surroundings."
"The methodology used lacks the professionalism and independence necessary for the preparation of reports by credible organizations, particularly with regard to precision and field investigation," wrote the institution.
The DIDH described HRW's document as a "generalist" and "non-documented" report which it said does not provide an accurate analysis of events.
Accusations against the King
According to the institution, HRW's attempt to link during and "the so-called clearance of the forces of order of any responsibility in the 'disturbances of Al Hoceima' […] confirms once again the flagrant disregard of the editor of the document for the work of the constitutional institutions of the Kingdom."
One strong criticism in HRW's report reproved statement during the that Moroccans have the right, and even the duty, to be proud of their security force. "Wouldn't they be even prouder if allegations of police abuse were met with credible investigations, and if the courts refused to convict on the basis of tainted confessions?" wrote Sarah Leah Whitson, director of the Middle East and North Africa Division at HRW.
did not please the DIDH, which explained that "the praise of the action of the public authorities comes within the context of the valorization of the spirit of responsibility displayed by these forces, in order to ensure peace and security within a framework of respect for the fundamental rights and freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution."
The institution stressed that the Moroccan authorities "do not accept that an international organization claiming to defend human rights systematically discredits the independence and impartiality of Moroccan justice, which has the full power to examine the validity of allegations concerning any abuse of any kind or perpetrator."
The DIDH reminded the NGO that "international human rights standards and best practices in managing demonstrations confirm that peacekeepers have the right to use force to disperse violent and illegal demonstrations within a framework of legality, proportionality and responsibility," stressing the fact that these very same standards forbid protesters from "confronting the security forces, destroying public and private property or disrupting public order and occupying public domain illegally."
"Erroneous, hasty and unclear conclusions"
The Moroccan institution also that some protesters arrested during the Hirak protests had been tortured. The DIDH pointed out that HRW did not use the reports of the forensic pathologists who examined the detainees, explaining that ""
For the DIDH, the have been initiated at the discretion of prosecutors and investigating judges as stipulated by law, "as the judiciary remains the only body authorized to determine the criminal status of detainees."
As regards the allegations of fair trial guarantees contained in HRW's report, DIDH stressed that these "erroneous, hasty and unclear conclusions are incompatible with the legal facts" which they said confirm that the arrests were made due "to acts contrary to the law" committed by protesters.
HRW: "We are doing our job"
In an after the report's publication, Eric Goldstein, deputy director of HRW in the MENA region, admitted that he NGO's report could spark serious tension with the Moroccan authorities. "It would sadden us, but denouncing human rights violations is our job," stated Goldstein. "A call for justice should bother no one."
For Goldstein, the King's praise of the "restraint" and "great respect of law" of law enforcement – "while a strong and credible report demonstrates numerous cases of torture carried out by the police was already available" – sent a message HRW considered to be "negative; that the allegations of abuse against prisoners did not even deserve to be investigated, and therefore that impunity was assured for those who violated the rights of the detainees."
"In criticizing this royal message, we are in our role as a human rights organization," stressed the director.
Goldstein also made accusations against the Moroccan authorities for obstructing his organization's operations in the country. "Since 2015, the Moroccan government asked HRW to suspend all its activity in the kingdom," he explained, adding however that the NGO will "of course continue to do its job."
"Morocco is not the first country to put obstacles in terms of access, but we always manage to cover it in a balanced way," affirms Goldstein.
However, the DIDH regarded what is described as HRW's attempt "to question the independence of the judiciary and its impartiality" to be "an unacceptable attempt to undermine the reforms adopted by the Kingdom in the judicial system."
Legal Disclaimer: MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.