(MENAFN- Kuwait News Agency (KUNA)) (With POL-FRANCE-ISRAEL-PALESTINIANS) WASHINGTON, June 22 (KUNA) -- The US on Wednesday called on the Israeli government to practice "restraint" and to "de-escalate the tensions" after a 15-year-old Palestinian boy was shot dead by the army.
"There were two others (boys) that were wounded, when they were mistakenly shot by Israeli security forces," State Department spokesman John Kirby told a briefing.
"We''ve seen also the report that the Israeli security forces were pursuing a group of Palestinians, who had earlier thrown rocks and Molotov cocktails at cars, and they opened fire on those individuals, by mistake," he added.
"As I''ve said many times, we''ve been very clear, it''s critical that every possible effort be taken to show restraint, guard against unnecessary loss of life, and de-escalate the tensions." However, Kirby said he would not speculate on the incident before the completion of an investigation into the incident by Israeli authorities.
Over reports of a meeting scheduled in Rome next week between US State Secretary John Kerry and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, the official said that the potential for a two-state solution will not be the only topic of discussion.
The Kirby said that Syria, regional challenges and counter-terrorism would also be on the agenda.
"I suspect they will touch on all of those things. So the meeting is being held in the context of all that. There are plenty of issues of concern to both Israel and the United States that merit this discussion". (end) sd.hb