(MENAFN- Morocco World News) More than 10,000 people have died attempting the perilous journey across the Mediterranean to Europe since 2014, the United Nations said Tuesday.
“You’ve now had since the start of 2014 – when this phenomenon of rising numbers across the Mediterranean happened – 10,000 deaths. That threshold has been crossed just in the last few days,” UN refugee agency spokesperson Adrian Edwards told reporters. 3,500 people died trying to cross the Mediterranean in 2014, 3,771 died last year and so far this year 2,814 have lost their lives, according to the UNHCR. Along all Mediterranean routes, more than 2500 people have died trying to reach Europe since the beginning of the year, with the vast majority of the fatalities occurring on crossings between Libya and Italy, the International Organization for migration said last week.
Legal Disclaimer: MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.