10 killed in suicide car bombing in Aden| MENAFN.COM

Saturday, 02 July 2022 04:44 GMT

10 killed in suicide car bombing in Aden


(MENAFN- Gulf Times) A suicide car bombing killed at least 10 people mostly civilians yesterday in an attack on the residence of the police chief of Yemen’s southern city of Aden security officials said.
They said a bomber wearing an explosives vest blew himself up at the entrance to General Shalal Shaea’s house in the Tawahi district of the port city.
Eight civilians and two guards were killed while the police chief was not hurt the sources said.
It was the latest attack in a wave of unrest that has rocked Aden declared Yemen’s provisional capital after the government was forced to flee Sanaa in September 2014 after Shia Houthi rebels swept into Sanaa.
It was not immediately clear who was behind the bombing.
The Islamic State militant group and Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula or AQAP have established a strong presence in Aden.
Meanwhile a freelance Yemeni journalist was killed yesterday in an air raid by the Saudi-led coalition on rebel-held Sanaa a witness and his employer said.
Almigdad Mojalli was hit by shrapnel as a missile slammed into the capital’s southern Jaref suburb while he was covering air strikes said his colleague photojournalist Bahir Hameed.
“Planes were hovering above when we were struck” Hameed said. According to his Twitter account Mojalli reported for Voice Of America and the IRIN humanitarian news agency.
IRIN said it was “shocked by this terrible loss”.
“With great sadness we received news from the family of Almigdad Mojalli our regular contributor in Yemen that he was killed today” said a post on its official Twitter account.
“Almigdad was an excellent journalist committed to neutrally & objectively telling the suffering of the Yemeni people in a brutal civil war.
“We are... still in the process of gathering information about the circumstances of his death.”
At least five journalists were killed in Yemen last year according to media watchdog Reporters Without Borders (RSF).
More than 5800 people have been killed in Yemen since the coalition launched its air campaign in support of the government last March about half of them civilians according to the UN.
Two security officials are dead after two separate incidents yesterday local officials said.
Brigadier Adel al-Asbahi a former security chief of the rebel-held province of Bayda - which lies about 268km south-east of Sanaa - was killed when a bomb planted in his car exploded officials said.
Al-Asbahi known for backing Yemen’s internationally recognised president Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi quit the post after rebel Houthi fighters seized Bayda more than 10 months ago.
In Sanaa also controlled by the rebels unknown gunmen shot dead Mohamed Radman a senior official in the special security forces. Radman was a loyalist of the Houthis who have been in control of Sana’a for more than a year now.
No one has claimed responsibility for either attack the latest in a series of assaults targeting officials in Yemen.


Legal Disclaimer:
MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.