Monday, 06 December 2021 02:15 GMT

India- Kerala legislator George to resign, may join LDF

(MENAFN- Gulf Times) Kerala's six-time legislator P C George, who has often changed his political allegiances, has now decided to quit as a lawmaker and hinted he may re-join the Left.
George, 65, was in April removed from the post of chief whip by his party - Kerala Congress (Mani), the third biggest ally in the Oommen Chandy-led United Democratic Front government.
He was later suspended for constantly attacking Finance Minister K M Mani, the leader of the party.
George said: "My conscience does not allow me to cast my vote to the present Congress-led government. The only way out is to resign as a legislator.
"I have now realised that the biggest mistake in my career was to merge my party - Kerala Congress (Secular) with Kerala Congress (Mani) in 2010," said George.
He is currently facing the heat as Thomas Unniyadan, the government's chief whip, has petitioned the speaker to disqualify him as a legislator.
Chandy, state Congress president V M Sudheeran and a few other Congress legislators have already testified before the speaker against George.
George, who hails from the rubber plantation area of Poonjar in Kottayam district, began his political career through the students' movement in the early 1970s.
He became a legislator for the first time in 1980 and again won when assembly elections were held two years later after the government fell. He lost the 1987 polls and did not contest the 1992 election.
Since 1996, George has never lost from Poonjar constituency.
For close to four decades, George has had an intense rivalry with Mani. In 2010, the two ended their acrimony.

Legal Disclaimer:
MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.