US Open not in doubt for Bencic despite quitting in Cincinnati
(MENAFN- Gulf Times) Swiss teenager Belinda Bencic said she will be ready for the US Open after quitting a match at the Cincinnati Masters yesterday due to a muscle problem in her right arm.
The winner of last week's Toronto title who had not lost in her past eight matches, stopped after losing the first set 6-2 to Lucie Safarova, the French Open finalist of last June.
"I don't think it's like very serious, I just wasn't 100 per cent today. To beat Lucie or even compete against her, you need to be 100 per cent," the number 12 said.
"I'm really sorry I had to retire. It was like I think the first time ever I retired a match, so it didn't feel very good.
"Physically I'm fine except this, and mentally I'm also fine. I mean, I won a lot of matches. I think that's the best that can happen to you mentally."
Bencic lasted for only 33 minutes and was seen once by the trainer during the match with Safarova.
"It's just muscular, I'm very tight through the forearm. The change of balls and I played a lot of matches, I think that it's just too much pressure."
Bencic said she and her team will make a decision on whether to play in next week's WTA tournament in New Haven with the Open starting on August 31.
Legal Disclaimer: MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.