Car bomb kills two in Sana'a| MENAFN.COM

Tuesday, 28 June 2022 10:36 GMT

Car bomb kills two in Sana'a


(MENAFN- The Peninsula) Sana'a: A car bomb near a mosque in Yemen's capital yesterday killed two people, as Saudi-led warplanes bombarded second city Aden, after peace talks in Geneva ended without agreement.

The explosion in Sana'a, controlled by Iran-backed Shia Houthi rebels, went off outside Kobbat Al Mehdi mosque as Shias emerged from noon prayers, witnesses and security sources said.

Sixteen were wounded, medical officials said. The blast damaged the entrance of the mosque and shattered the windows of a nearby house. The Islamic State claimed responsibility, SITE Intelligence Group reported, the latest in a series that has targeted Sana'a the Houthi rebels seized in September.

Since then they have expanded control to other parts of Sunni-majority Yemen, including Aden in the south, forcing president Abdrabuh Mansur Hadi and his government to flee to Saudi Arabia.

The car attack came hours after Saudi-led warplanes launched 15 strikes against Houthi targets in the port city of Aden.

A pro-government military source said the dawn strikes pounded the northern, eastern and western approaches to Aden to isolate the Houthis and support forces loyal to Hadi. "The aim is to close the noose around the Houthi rebels in Aden and assist the Popular Resistance Committees," said the source. Anti-rebel forces comprising pro-government fighters, Sunni tribes and southern separatists are referred to as Popular Resistance Committees.


Legal Disclaimer:
MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.