,
Sunday, 09 May 2021 02:31 GMT

Uganda bombing trial stalls after top prosecutor assassinated


(MENAFN - The Peninsula) Kampala-A key trial in Uganda of 13 men accused of taking part in Al-Shebab bombings that killed 76 people in 2010 was postponed Tuesday after the top prosecutor was shot dead.

Police on Tuesday vowed to catch the killers of Joan Kagezi, acting assistant director of public prosecution, who was murdered by men on a motorbike as she drove home with three of her children on Monday evening.

The identity of the gunmen and their motive remains unclear, police said.

Minister of Information Jim Muhwezi said the "crime will not go unpunished", while police chief Kale Kayihura said "her death is a big loss to the country."

She was shot twice, in the neck and in the shoulder, after stopping her car to buy fruit on the side of the road in a suburb of the capital Kampala. Her three children were unhurt.

"The murder of Joan Kagezi should only serve to increase our resolve to hunt down and bring to justice all those elements bent on disturbing the security and development of our country," Kayihura added.

Kagezi had been due to appear in court Tuesday at the trial of 13 men accused of participating in the July 2010 bombings in Kampala which were claimed by Somalia's Al-Qaeda-affiliated Shebab militants.

Police spokesman Fred Enanga said they were tracking suspects. He said the killing "could be... related" to the Shebab but added that they "can't determine that at this stage."


Legal Disclaimer:
MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.

Pitch Day & Talks, Startup Event for Founders and Investors