(MENAFN - Arab News) Millions of riyals have so far been collected in the national fundraising campaign for Syrians launched by Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah on Monday. Donations continued to pour in late on Tuesday night.
King Abdullah donated SR 20 million to the fund while Crown Prince Salman, deputy premier and minister of defense, gave SR 10 million.
Saudi philanthropists and businessmen in different parts of the Kingdom responded favorably to the campaign by extending generous donations in cash and kind.
According to Al-Ekhbariya television channel, more than SR 70 million was collected within one hour of the campaign. The five-day campaign supervised by Interior Minister Prince Ahmed will continue until 3 a.m. on Friday.
Mubarak bin Saeed Al-Bakr, CEO of the campaign, said precious materials like jewelry, gold, cars, real estate and medical appliances would be received at special places allocated by regional governorates.
Mansour Al-Maiman, chairman of NCB's board of directors, said his bank is happy to play an important role in the fundraising campaign. He announced a donation of SR 2 million to the fund.
Arab National Bank announced a donation of SR 1 million. Salah Al Rashed, chairman of ANB, stated: "This initiative comes in response to the directives of our wise government and to express our solidarity with our brothers in Syria."