(MENAFN - Jordan Times) Jordan on Tuesday asked Israel to use the agreed-upon quantities of explosives when removing land mines along the Jordan Valley border to preserve the safety of residents in the surrounding areas.
Israel was scheduled to start "ordinary" clearance activities on Tuesday morning to remove mines at the border area and near the King Hussein Bridge, the Jordan Armed Forces (JAF) said in a statement posted on its website yesterday.
Israeli de-mining activities were scheduled to take place from 8:00am until 5:00pm on Tuesday and Wednesday, according to the JAF statement.
Rakan Adwan, a resident of Southern Shuneh, which is less than three kilometres away from the King Hussein Bridge at the border with the West Bank, said he and his relatives in the area did not hear any explosions on Tuesday, voicing hope that the de-mining activities would not affect his house.
"I read news that the Israelis would start de-mining activities today, but so far I have heard nothing. Last month, when the Israelis blew up mines, my house was slightly damaged and it was annoying," he said over the phone yesterday.
"I hope this time the explosions will not be strong and will not scare the children in the house," Adwan added.
Last month, sounds of explosions were heard in Amman and other parts of central Jordan for two days in a row, which authorities said were the result of Israeli de-mining activities in the Jordan Valley.
In January, Israel announced it would soon begin clearing thousands of mines in southern Israel, according to a report by the Associated Press.
In a statement, Israeli official Ervin Lavi said 24 hectares (dunums) of land would be cleared near the Dead Sea in March, the news agency reported, quoting him as saying that Israel eventually intends to clear some 13,152 hectares of land where mines have shifted over time and in mined areas occupied by Israel.