(MENAFN - Jordan Times) Teachers' representatives announced late Monday an end to their 12-day strike after they reached a compromise with the government, the Jordan News Agency, Petra, reported.
Business will go as usual in all public schools as of Tuesday, the agency said.
Under the deal, the government will pay as of April 1 an additional 15 per cent raise of basic salary, upping the demanded professional allowance this year to 85 per cent, while the remaining 15 per cent will be disbursed next year.
The government, according to Petra and teachers' leaders, also agreed to unify the allowance at 100 per cent for all ranks and categories of educators, administrative staff and technicians.
The breakthrough came after a marathon meeting binging together the teacher's representatives and Minister of Education Eid Dahiyat and Labour Minister Maher Wakid.
Earlier in the evening, the talks came to a stalemate after teachers insisted on a 100 per cent raise for non-teaching staff, an official source said.
The government has unified professional allowances in the education sector at 70 per cent of basic salaries, defying teachers' demand for a 100 per cent allowance, which they say had been promised since 1996 under a Royal makruma.
The negotiations, held at the Prime Ministry, continued for the second day in a row between Cabinet members and leaders of teachers.
On Sunday, the government renewed a proposal to grant teachers 12.5 per cent of the demanded 30 per cent pay raise this year and disburse the remaining percentage to 2013.
Teachers rejected the suggestion, insisting on splitting the 30 per cent between this year and 2013.
Teachers were expected to issue a statement in the early hours Tuesday confirming the deal and directing striking teachers to go back to schools.