ASM International N.V. Report Second Quarter 2012 Operating Results
ALMERE, THE NETHERLANDS, Jul 25, 2012 (Menafn - MARKETWIRE via COMTEX) --ASM International N.V. reports today its second quarter (unaudited)operating results inaccordance with US GAAP.
Highlights * Net sales for the second quarter 2012 were EUR 378million, an increase of 21% quarter-to-quarter and a decrease of20% year-on-year. Net sales of our Front-end segment decreased 9%quarter-to-quarter while Back-end sales increased by 35%.
* Result from operations for Q2 2012 was EUR 39 million. Resultfrom operations in Q1 2012 was EUR 22 million while the secondquarter of 2011 showed a profit of EUR 104 million.
* The Front-end segment's operating loss was EUR 1.9 millioncompared to profit of EUR 2.9 million quarter-to-quarter. Q22011 showed an operating profit of EUR 20.8 million;
* The Back-end segment operating profit was EUR 40.5 comparedto EUR 19.0 million quarter-to-quarter. Q2 2011 showed anoperating profit of EUR 83.2 million.
* Second quarter 2012 net earnings were EUR 18 million compared tonet earnings of EUR 6 million for the first quarter of 2012 andEUR 50 million for the second quarter of 2011, both Front-end(EUR 1 million) and Back-end (EUR 17 million) showed positive netearnings.
* Book to bill in the second quarter was 1.1. For the Front-end thebook to bill was 1.0 and for the Back-end segment 1.1. The Backlogincreased from Euro 373 million at the end of the first quarter2012 to EUR 439 million at the end of the second quarter 2012.
Commenting on the results, Chuck del Prado, President andChief ExecutiveOfficer of ASM International, said: "Sales in Q2 are showing a growth as compared to Q1, this is driven by theBack-end operations. The sales decrease in the Front-end operations is in line with our previous guidance. Bookingsimproved bothin the Front-end and Back-end. While total results in Q2 showed animprovement as compared to Q1, Front-end efficiency issues werestill stronglyimpacting the results. We expect that improvements will become visible in the second half of the year."
For the current quarter we expect a sales increase in our Front-endoperations.For our Back-end operations, based upon the actualbacklog, a sound quarter is expected.
About ASM International
ASM International N.V., headquartered in Almere, the Netherlands, and its subsidiaries design and manufacture equipment and materials used to producesemiconductor devices. ASMInternational and its subsidiaries provide productionsolutions for wafer processing (Front-end segment) as well as assembly andpackaging (Back-end segment) through facilities in the UnitedStates, Europe,Japan and Asia. ASM International's common stocktrades on NASDAQ (symbol ASMI)and the Euronext Amsterdam StockExchange (symbol ASM). For more information,visit ASMI's website atwww.asm.com.
Safe Harbor Statement under the U.S. Private Securities LitigationReform Act of 1995: All matters discussed in this statement, exceptfor any historical data,are forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties thatcould cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements. These include, but are not limited to,economicconditions and trends in the semiconductor industrygenerally and the timing of the industry cycles specifically,currency fluctuations, corporate transactions,financing andliquidity matters, the success of restructurings, the timing ofsignificant orders, market acceptance of new products,competitive factors,litigation involving intellectual property, shareholder and other issues,commercial and economic disruptiondue to natural disasters, terrorist activity,armed conflict orpolitical instability, epidemics and other risks indicated in the Company's filings from time to time with the U.S. Securities andExchangeCommission, including, but not limited to, the Company'sreports on Form 20-Fand Form 6-K. The Company assumes no obligationto update or revise any forward-looking statements to reflect futuredevelopments or circumstances.
ASM International will host an investor conference call and web cast on Thursday, July 26, 2012 at 15:00 Continental European Time (9:00 a.m. - US Eastern Time)(9:00 p.m. Hong Kong Time).
The teleconference dial-in numbers are as follows:
* United States: 1 646 254 3366
* International: 44 (0)20 7136 2055
* Access Code: 7262456
A simultaneous audio web cast will be accessible at www.asm.com.
The teleconference will be available for replay, beginning onehour aftercompletion of the live broadcast, through August 24, 2012.
The replay dial-in numbers are:
* United States: 1 347 366 9565
* International: 44 (0)20 7111 1244
* Access Code: 7262456#
2012 Q2 Press release - Final - 25-07-12: http://hugin.info/132090/R/1629470/521906.pdf
This announcement is distributed by Thomson Reuters on behalf ofThomson Reuters clients. The owner of this announcement warrantsthat:
(i) the releases contained herein are protected by copyright and other applicable laws; and
(ii) they are solely responsible for the content, accuracy and originality of the information contained therein.
Source: ASM International NV via Thomson Reuters ONE
31 88 100 8500
Mary Jo Dieckhaus
1 212 986 2900
31 20 6855 955
31 62501 8512
SOURCE: ASM International NV
Copyright 2012 Marketwire, Inc., All rights reserved.