Target still mum on its plans for Kailua
Oct 13, 2012 (Menafn - The Honolulu Star-Advertiser - McClatchy-Tribune Information Services via COMTEX) --Target Corp.'s scheduled grand opening for July has passed, and the retailer has said little since revising plans for a proposed 40 million, 130,000-square-foot store in Kailua.
The Minneapolis-based retailer said an archaeological study discovered "previously unidentified iwi kupuna," or Native Hawaiian skeletal remains, at the site of the former Don Quijote USA Co. Ltd. at 345 Hahani St., which Target purchased in January 2011 from landowner Kaneohe Ranch. Two sets of human remains were found, according to the state Department of Land and Natural Resources. Target's archaeological survey is ongoing.
The company hasn't disclosed new plans for the store, but acknowledged it has redesigned the project to minimize ground disturbances, which includes leaving the Don Quijote building foundation in place.
Target updated the Oahu Island Burial Council in August on its revised plans but also didn't give details, said council Chairwoman Hinaleimoana Wong-Kalu.
"I don't believe it's going to be much different from the existing Target," she said. "They're simply elevating it up."
Company spokeswoman Mya Walters said in an email, "The Oahu Island Burial Council through a process defined by the burial laws will determine the final resting place of the discovered iwi kupuna. Out of respect for the cultural descendants and their requests during this intensely private and sensitive matter, Target does not have any additional information to share at this time."
Walters wouldn't say when construction -- which takes approximately 10 months to a year -- will begin or when a new store is expected to open.
___ (c)2012 The Honolulu Star-Advertiser Visit The Honolulu Star-Advertiser at
www.staradvertiser.com Distributed by MCT Information Services
Copyright (C) 2012, The Honolulu Star-Advertiser