(MENAFN - Arab News) A Tripartite committee formed by the Jeddah governorate commenced its task of removing abandoned and dilapidated cars from the industrial zone North of Jeddah. The governorate had issued a warning earlier to all vehicle owners to remove their cars, through an announcement in various media outlets.
The cabinet decision no. 76 regulated abandoned and dilapidated cars in the streets, parking lots and in the areas surrounding workshops and maintenance centers, on the grounds of article 5/22, which is related to fines and penalties. The governorate pointed out that the cars left behind are distorting the image of the city and constitute a source of danger. The deadline ended Saturday, 2/2/1434, therefore the governorate is imposing penalties and binding owners to pay all costs related.
Despite the governorate's warning, many vehicle owners did not comply with the orders, while some vehicle owners removed their cars.
Major General Mohammed Al-Qahtani, director of the Jeddah traffic department said the campaign used 95 cranes, 4 wheels and various other equipment to remove the abandoned cars, starting from 7 o'clock in the morning, with the participation of the Jeddah traffic department, Jeddah Secretariat and the detective department. He also added that 280 vehicles were removed in the first phase of the campaign.
Although some car owners have objected to the campaign, Al"Qahtani stressed that the implementation process commenced only after the grace period ended. Moreover, workshop owners have complained that some car owners brought their cars for repair, but never came back to collect their cars, nor did they pay for the repairs and left no contact information.