(MENAFN - Arab Times) Former and incumbent lawmakers have criticized the decision of the Supreme Judicial Council to accept female applicants to various posts in the Public Prosecution and the judiciary, because it allegedly violates the Sharia Law and it might create imbalance in the judicial system.
This came after the Supreme Judicial Council announced its decision on allowing Kuwaiti women to take up jobs in the judicial authority recently. Sources revealed the decision will take effect by the end of this month.
Sources said the Council has instructed the Ministry of Justice to accept applications from qualified Kuwaiti women for the first time in its history. Sources pointed out the Council does not find any justification for prohibiting women from working in the judiciary, since they had been granted their political rights several years ago. Sources added a total of seven female prosecutors might be appointed during the initial phase of the execution of the decision.
Meanwhile, former MP Abdullatif Al-Omairi asserted that the issue of women assuming judicial posts is not a political issue to argue about, but it is an issue of legitimacy which is already settled and the Islamic scholars had come to the conclusion that it is not allowed.
Member of the annulled 2012 Parliament Ahmed Mutei admitted he was surprised when the Council took such a controversial decision, because it is considered a violation of the Sharia Law and most of the Islamic scholars had earlier warned against this move.
Another member of the annulled Parliament, Ammar Al-Ajmi, argued that accepting a woman into the judiciary contravenes the Sharia Law and it may lead to imbalance in the work of the judicial authority.
On his Twitter account, Al-Ajmi said,"Although we had previously opposed the politicization of the judiciary, we reiterate this objection today, especially since the decision came after the Ministry of Justice succumbed to pressure from certain parties. The decision coincided with the formation of the Supreme Judicial Council, but the concerned officials must focus on reforming the judiciary, while granting the authority technical, administrative and financial autonomy".
In another development, the Majority Bloc has stepped up efforts to prepare for a mass rally scheduled for Sept 24 - a day before the Constitutional Court announces its verdict on government's request to look into the constitutionality of the Elections Law.
Speaking to the press after the bloc's meeting Saturday evening, member of the annulled Parliament Nayef Al-Mirdas said the bloc reviewed last Monday's rally at Erada Square and "we are satisfied with the turn of events. Around 12,000 citizens attended the rally despite harsh weather conditions and high temperatures."
Refuting allegations that a number of MPs boycotted the rally due to the previous statement of MP Waleed Al-Tabtabaei that Sheikh Jaber Al-Mubarak Al-Sabah is the last prime minister from the descendants of Mubarak, Al-Mirdas has accused the media of distorting the image of the bloc by giving the public an impression that its members are divided. He stressed the attendance of 22 members to the meeting is enough proof that the bloc is united.
Furthermore, the bloc issued an official statement condemning a film deemed offensive to Prophet Mohammed (PBUH). It also called on the Organization of Islamic Conference (OIC) to present a draft resolution on boycotting all those behind the film, including the publishers and producers.