Tuesday, 02 January 2024 12:17 GMT

Bahrain regrets cops' action


(MENAFN- Arab News) MANAMA: Bahraini officials have apologized over police taking down Shiite banners and flags marking Ashoura an action that sparked clashes earlier in the day in the island kingdom.
The Shiite opposition group Al-Wefaq says several people were injured in the clashes outside of Manama on Tuesday. Authorities gave no casualty figures for the clashes which saw police fire tear gas and birdshot.
The kingdom's Shiite Endowment Department later issued a statement acknowledging the banners and flags were allowed and said their removal 'contradicted the guidelines' of the king. Bahrain has been rocked by years of turmoil.



Arab News

Legal Disclaimer:
MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.



Search