403
Sorry!!
Error! We're sorry, but the page you were looking for doesn't exist.
Egypt deports American citizen
(MENAFN- Arab News) CAIRO: Egypt on Saturday deported a US-Egyptian citizen sentenced to life in jail on charges of destabilising the country as part of a crackdown on the outlawed Muslim Brotherhood officials said.
Mohamed Soltan 27 whose father is a leading Brotherhood official was arrested in August 2013 and sentenced to life in April.
He has been observing a hunger strike since January 2014 amid concern from his relatives in the United States who fear for his health and say charges against him were fabricated.
A police official said Soltan was put on a plane to the United States and the US Embassy in Cairo confirmed his deportation.
'We can confirm his departure. We are happy that he will be reunited with his family in the United States' an embassy spokesman told AFP.
Soltan worked with media outlets covering the political upheaval that erupted in Egypt after the army deposed President Muhammad Mursi and a crackdown on his supporters.
Mursi was ousted by then-army chief and now President Abdel Fattah El-Sissi in July 2013 after mass street protests against his one-year rule.
A government crackdown has left hundreds of Mursi supporters dead thousands imprisoned and dozens sentenced to death after speedy trials described by the UN as 'unprecedented in recent history.'
One of those sentenced to death in such a trial was Soltan's father Salah.
The Brotherhood from whose ranks Mursi hails was also listed as a 'terrorist organization.'
Soltan was released from jail in line with a presidential decree stipulating foreigners convicted in Egypt can be deported to their home countries.
But to do so he had renounce his Egyptian nationality said his brother Omar Soltan who welcomed the news his brother had been freed.
'The news of Mohamed's deportation have taken an enormous load of worry off our backs and has replaced it with joy and happiness' Omar wrote in English in an e-mail sent to AFP.
'Our hopes are that Mohamed hasn't suffered any permanent damage to his body and that he has an easy recovery.'
Soltan's family also expressed relief he had been freed 'after spending several hundred days on hunger strike and many months in solitary confinement.'
'Mohamed's health is dire. He will receive medical treatment as soon as he arrives on US soil' it said in a statement.
State news agency MENA meanwhile quoted the state prosecutor that Soltan will have serve the rest of his sentence in the United States in line with the presidential decree allowing him to leave Egypt.
Mohamed Soltan 27 whose father is a leading Brotherhood official was arrested in August 2013 and sentenced to life in April.
He has been observing a hunger strike since January 2014 amid concern from his relatives in the United States who fear for his health and say charges against him were fabricated.
A police official said Soltan was put on a plane to the United States and the US Embassy in Cairo confirmed his deportation.
'We can confirm his departure. We are happy that he will be reunited with his family in the United States' an embassy spokesman told AFP.
Soltan worked with media outlets covering the political upheaval that erupted in Egypt after the army deposed President Muhammad Mursi and a crackdown on his supporters.
Mursi was ousted by then-army chief and now President Abdel Fattah El-Sissi in July 2013 after mass street protests against his one-year rule.
A government crackdown has left hundreds of Mursi supporters dead thousands imprisoned and dozens sentenced to death after speedy trials described by the UN as 'unprecedented in recent history.'
One of those sentenced to death in such a trial was Soltan's father Salah.
The Brotherhood from whose ranks Mursi hails was also listed as a 'terrorist organization.'
Soltan was released from jail in line with a presidential decree stipulating foreigners convicted in Egypt can be deported to their home countries.
But to do so he had renounce his Egyptian nationality said his brother Omar Soltan who welcomed the news his brother had been freed.
'The news of Mohamed's deportation have taken an enormous load of worry off our backs and has replaced it with joy and happiness' Omar wrote in English in an e-mail sent to AFP.
'Our hopes are that Mohamed hasn't suffered any permanent damage to his body and that he has an easy recovery.'
Soltan's family also expressed relief he had been freed 'after spending several hundred days on hunger strike and many months in solitary confinement.'
'Mohamed's health is dire. He will receive medical treatment as soon as he arrives on US soil' it said in a statement.
State news agency MENA meanwhile quoted the state prosecutor that Soltan will have serve the rest of his sentence in the United States in line with the presidential decree allowing him to leave Egypt.
Legal Disclaimer:
MENAFN provides the
information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept
any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images,
videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information
contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright
issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.

Comments
No comment