403
Sorry!!
Error! We're sorry, but the page you were looking for doesn't exist.
Baghdad claims IS No. 2 taken out
(MENAFN- Arab News) BAGHDAD: Iraq's Defense Ministry said on Wednesday the second most senior member of Islamic State had been killed in a coalition airstrike on a mosque where he was meeting with other militants in the north of the country.
'Based on accurate intelligence an airstrike by the coalition forces targeted the second in command of IS Abu Alaa Al-Afari' the ministry said in a statement on its website.
Abu Alaa Al-Afari whose real name is Abdul Rahman Mustafa Mohammed is an ethnic Turkmen from the town of Tel Afar in northwestern Iraq and is thought to be second in command of Islamic State after self-proclaimed caliph Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi.
On its website the Defense Ministry posted footage of the airstrike on the 'Martrys Mosque' in the village of Al-Iyadhiya near Tel Afar where Afari was a teacher and well-known preacher according to a local official who asked to remain anonymous.
There was no way to independently confirm the ministry statement and the Iraqi government has previously announced the death of Islamic State militants only for them to resurface alive.
The Pentagon in Washington said it was aware of the reports but could not confirm them.
'Based on accurate intelligence an airstrike by the coalition forces targeted the second in command of IS Abu Alaa Al-Afari' the ministry said in a statement on its website.
Abu Alaa Al-Afari whose real name is Abdul Rahman Mustafa Mohammed is an ethnic Turkmen from the town of Tel Afar in northwestern Iraq and is thought to be second in command of Islamic State after self-proclaimed caliph Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi.
On its website the Defense Ministry posted footage of the airstrike on the 'Martrys Mosque' in the village of Al-Iyadhiya near Tel Afar where Afari was a teacher and well-known preacher according to a local official who asked to remain anonymous.
There was no way to independently confirm the ministry statement and the Iraqi government has previously announced the death of Islamic State militants only for them to resurface alive.
The Pentagon in Washington said it was aware of the reports but could not confirm them.
Legal Disclaimer:
MENAFN provides the
information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept
any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images,
videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information
contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright
issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.

Comments
No comment