Quotes: MENA   Enter Symbol: NewsLetter: Search: advanced

Dubai does well to curb thalassaemia in newborns  Join our daily free Newsletter

MENAFN - Khaleej Times - 02/09/2014
No. of Ratings : 0
Add to Mixx!



(MENAFN - Khaleej Times) Drop in the number of disease cases attributed to awareness campaigns screenings.The number of cases of thalassaemia in newborns in Dubai has drastically reduced due to the rise in awareness levels and compulsory premarital screenings for couples. Dr Khawla Belhoul with patients at the Thalassaemia Centre.

“For the past three to four years the number of new cases of inherited blood disorder thalassaemia has reduced to zero to one case per year as opposed to 14 to 18 cases per year. This means the centre receives either no case or one new case per year” said Dr Khawla Belhoul Director of the Dubai Health Authority’s Thalassaemia Centre.

She attributed the drastic reduction in numbers to the extensive medical and educational awareness campaigns.

Dr Khawla also added the premarital screening has a strong impact reducing the incidence of the disease but the impact was not immediate. A premarital screening law for genetic diseases was introduced in 2006.

One in 12 people in the UAE carry the thalassaemia gene. Thalassemia is a recessive genetic disease meaning both parents must carry the gene to pass it along. When that is the case with each pregnancy there is a 25 per cent chance that a child will be born with the disease a 50 per cent chance the child will only be a carrier and a 25 per cent chance the child will not be affected.

Costs of treatment remain a burden on the patients and UAE healthcare system though government centres – which are already running in full capacity — offer the treatment free of cost that can vary depending on the age and complications with adult patients.

The only cure is bone marrow transplantation from a fully matched compatible donor which can cost more than Dh300000.

“Since 2007 we began exhaustive community outreach and awareness activities which has directly resulted in reducing the number of thalassaemia cases in the emirate.”

The Emirates Thalassemia Society said that when most to-be-married couples objected and said it was too late to call of the weddings the focus was shifted to educating students.

“We used to have issues when couples would be tested to see if they were a thalassemia carrier just a few days before the wedding” said Shakeela Basheer administration officer at the society. “And if they tested positive it would create complications for them so we shifted our focus to educating students and this has definitely helped” added Shakeela who is also a patient.

Shakeela was last year awarded by the Shaikh Sultan bin Khalifa International Thalassemia Award for being the most ideal patient and inspiring others.

Last year 54 schools two universities and 11 government departments visited the thalassemia centre as part of the awareness campaigns. “Each year students from class 9 to 12 visit the centre and are educated about the disease. Reaching out to them to understand the disease and its life-time complications has greatly helped curb the rise in number of new cases” explained Dr Khawla.

She said students opt to get themselves tested to understand whether they are a carrier or not and this is important to do early on in life so that they can take future decisions carefully.

“Our message is clear — it is inadvisable for both partners with thalassaemia to get married because there are strong chances that all babies born to that couple will carry the disease and we see several such cases. However if only one person has thalassaemia it is still okay because the baby will be a carrier but will not have thalassaemia.”

The centre has 1660 out-patients who do not require blood transfusions and 438 in-patients who require blood transfusions every two to three weeks. In 2013 8114 patient visits were recorded by the centre.

Seventy per cent of the patients at the centre are adults and 30 per cent are children.

asmaalizainkhaleejtimes.com

 


Khaleej Times




  MENA News Headlines
 Jan 28 2015 - Egypt- Foreign governments, UN 'deeply disturbed' by deadly 25 January clashesDaily News Egypt
(MENAFN - Daily News Egypt) Following the demonstrations, clashes, and deaths that marked the fourth anniversary of the 25 January Revolution, the United Nations and governments across the world ...

 Jan 28 2015 - Protests continue for 3rd day in EgyptDaily News Egypt
(MENAFN - Daily News Egypt) Protests continued for a third day since the fourth anniversary of 25 January Revolution in Daqahleya and Fayoum, with violence and unconfirmed reports of deaths in ...

 Jan 28 2015 - Egypt- Man drowns at newly opened theme parkDaily News Egypt
(MENAFN - Daily News Egypt) A young father of two drowned Sunday at Cosmos Little Egypt, a theme park featuring replicas of Egypt's major attractions, yet which was devoid of lifeguards or employees ...

 Jan 28 2015 - Egypt- 1 killed, 2 injured in Alexandria bomb blastDaily News Egypt
(MENAFN - Daily News Egypt) An explosive device went off close to a police station in Alexandria, killing one and injuring two others on Tuesday morning, according to state-run MENA.Allegedly, all ...

 Jan 28 2015 - Egypt- Verdict against FGM not enough: HRWDaily News Egypt
(MENAFN - Daily News Egypt) Two sentences in a case related to female genital mutilation (FGM) in seven years since passing a law that criminalises the practise in Egypt is not enough, Human Rights ...

 Jan 28 2015 - Egypt- Court rules 'lack of jurisdiction' in designating Al-Qassam Brigades and Ultras 'terrorists'Daily News Egypt
(MENAFN - Daily News Egypt) The Cairo Court of Urgent Matters ruled on Sunday that the court lacks jurisdiction in two separate lawsuits demanding to designate the Ezzedine Al-Qassam Brigades, the ...

 Jan 28 2015 - Egypt- Court denies prosecution appeal on Ramsis bathhouse verdictDaily News Egypt
(MENAFN - Daily News Egypt) The Azbakeya Appeals Court denied Monday the prosecution's appeal on the verdict of the acquittal of the 26 defendants in the 'Ramsis bathhouse' case.Tarek Al-Awadi, the ...

 Jan 28 2015 - Egypt- Government provides housing ministry with new EGP 1bnDaily News Egypt
(MENAFN - Daily News Egypt) Egypt's cabinet has agreed, after a Monday meeting, to allocate EGP 1bn from the budget savings, spokesperson Hossam El-Kawish announced in a statement.The sum will be ...

 Jan 28 2015 - Egypt- Agreement signed converting 2,000 cars to run on natural gasDaily News Egypt
(MENAFN - Daily News Egypt) The Ministry of Petroleum signed Tuesday a contract with the Social Fund for Development (SFD) funding the fourth phase of a project converting cars to run on natural gas. ...

 Jan 28 2015 - Egypt- Obourland Cheese Company to launch 2 factories with EGP 100m investmentsDaily News Egypt
(MENAFN - Daily News Egypt) Obourland Cheese Company is set to establish a new cheese factory and a new factory for juice and milk production, worth EGP 100m in total investments.The cheese factory ...

more...


 






Google

Electronic & Mobile Payment

 
 

Middle East North Africa - Financial Network

MENAFN News Market Data Countries Tools Section  
 

Middle East North Africa - Financial Network
Arabic MENAFN

Main News
News By Industry
News By Country

Islamic Finance News
Private Equity News

How-To Guides
Technology Section

Travel Section

Search News

Market Indices
Quotes & Charts

Global Indices
Arab Indices

Commodoties

Oil & Energy

Currencies Cross Rates
Currencies Updates
Currency Converter

USA Stocks
Arab Stocks
 

Algeria 
Bahrain 
Egypt 
Iraq
Jordan 
Kuwait 
Lebanon
Morocco 
Oman 
Palestine
Qatar 
Saudi Arabia 
Syria
Tunisia 
UAE 
Yemen

Weather
Economic Calendar
Financial Glossary


Financial Calculators

RSS Feeds [XML]

Corporate Monitor

Events

Real Estate
Submit Your Property

Arab Research
Buy a Research

Press Releases
Submit your PR

Join Newsletters


 
© 2014 menafn.com All Rights Reserved.  Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Advertise | About MENAFN | Career Opportunities | Feedback | Help