(MENAFN - Muscat Daily) Sheikh Hazzaa al Saadi has stepped down as general secretary and CEO of Oman Football Association (OFA) saying that he would look to take up 'new challenges'.
Saadi who took charge of the twin posts on September 1 2011 following the OFA board elections had submitted his resignation two months ago.
However it was accepted by the OFA board only on Saturday at a meeting under the chairmanship of Sayyid Khalid al Busaidy the OFA chairman.
OFA's second vice-chairman Saleh al Farsi who has previously worked as the OFA's general secretary has taken charge as interim CEO. Saadi's tenure as the CEO and general secretary lasted three years and the 36 year old said it has been an 'enjoyable and educational stint'.
Saadi told Muscat Daily 'It is my decision to quit as I would like to take up new challenges. I had a satisfying time with the OFA under Sayyid Khalid and I am thankful to my team and all the OFA members for their assistance. My three years have been rewarding at the personal and professional levels. I am leaving the organisation which is the best sports body in the country with good memories.'
Interestingly during the OFA's annual general meeting this year representatives of various domestic clubs had expressed their disapproval of Saadi's style of functioning.
Asked if he was under any pressure from the clubs to quit Saadi said 'There is absolutely no truth in that. If that was the case then I would have quit at that time itself.'
The former Omantel official added 'When I took over we had a dream to make football in Oman better. I am happy that Oman's football is much better in all aspects than what it was three years back.'
Saadi said he would continue to be closely associated with the sport through his club Musannah where he is a senior administrator. A graduate from the American University in Sharjah UAE Saadi said he would rate his own performance as OFA general secretary at 7.5 on a scale of ten.