Monday, 18 December 2017 02:42 GMT
img

Libyan interim government submits resignation

(MENAFN - Arab News) TRIPOLI Libya: Libya's interim government submitted its resignation to the newly elected Parliament it said on Friday raising the possibility that a more inclusive government will be formed while militias in the capital accepted a UN call for a cease-fire.

Meanwhile militias in eastern Libya claimed to have shot down a fighter jet that had been flying over the eastern city of Bayda broadcaster Al-Nabaa reported. It said the aircraft was under the command of renegade Gen. Khalifa Hifter who for months has been fighting militias in the country's east.

The Cabinet headed by Prime Minister Abdullah Al-Thinni said that it had submitted its resignation on Wednesday. It said in statement that it hopes the parliament chooses 'a new government that represents all Libyan factions without exclusion.'

Al-Thinni's government was at odds with militants who have taken over the capital Tripoli. In stepping down it has opened a door for a political solution to Libya's violent divisions.

The militia spokesman Ahmed Hadiya said in a statement to the media late Thursday that his group will 'cooperate with the world.'

Hadiya's coalition has sought to cement its control over the capital by reviving the outgoing Parliament which disputes the legitimacy of the newly elected Parliament.

Libya is witnessing the worst bout of violence since the toppling down of longtime dictator Muammar Qaddafi in 2011.


Libyan interim government submits resignation

  Most popular stories  

Day | Week | Month