(MENAFN - Qatar News Agency) W york june 05 (qna) - un secretary-general ban ki-moon on wednesday condemned the continuing bloodshed in southern sudan which violated cease-fire agreements and urged the conflict parties to stop all military operations.
ban urged south sudanese president salva kiir to meet with former vice-president riek machar on monday as agreed to in the 9 may document that aimed to end the fighting in the world's newest country.
in a telephone call with the president ban expressed "grave concern" about ongoing hostilities and called for an "immediate" end to all military operations his spokesperson said.
kiir and machar met in addis ababa ethiopia in may to agree to end fighting after the 23 january agreement on the cessation of hostilities failed to stem what is now a six-month-old conflict.
as part of the may agreement the two south sudanese officials agreed to meet on a monthly basis to review progress in the implementation of the accord.
meanwhile the fighting which has already uprooted over one million people including 75000-80000 civilians who have sought safety at un peacekeeping bases around the country continues. ban urged the president to meet with machar to "reach an agreement on substantive issues including transitional arrangements" the spokesperson said.
he also called on president kiir to extend his full support to the un mission in south sudan (unmiss) in the implementation of its new mandate as set out by the security council at the end of last month. (qna)