Tuesday, 17 October 2017 05:00 GMT
img

Libyan house speaker "safe" after parliament attack

(MENAFN - Kuwait News Agency (KUNA)) Libyan Parliament Speaker Nouri Abu Sahmain said Sunday that he is in a "safe" place and in coordination with his deputies, premier and intelligence chief. His remarks to a Libyan TV channel came after an armed group stormed the parliament building earlier today, with gun shots heard within the premises. Luckily the session was adjourned and MPs had already left the building, according to the Libyan Arab News Agency (LANA). In the phone call with Libya TV, Abu Sahmain attributed reoccurrence of such incidents to loose security and inability of the state to control its own security establishments. All roads leading to the parliament building, in the capital Tripoli, were cut off by the unknown group. No casualties were reported as of yet. In a statement to LANA, MP Jalal Hassan said today's session was supposed to mull over the new government formation by newly-assigned Premier Ahmad Maiteeq. Eyewitnesses told LANA that a number of mortar shells hit the residential area of Tripoli's Hay Al-Akwakh and resulted in damaging a few apartments. Libya has been struggling with chaos as its government, parliament and armed forces are unable to impose authority over brigades of former rebels and militias who helped oust Muammar Gaddafi in 2011 but now defy the state.
Libyan house speaker "safe" after parliament attack