(MENAFN - Khaleej Times) Marking her first and only performance in the middle east gaga is bringing her artrave tour to meydan racecourse on september 10.
light has finally been shed on dubai’s worst kept secret: lady gaga will play dubai.
marking her first and only performance in the middle east gaga is bringing her artrave tour to meydan racecourse on september 10.
to the collective delight of her many fans in the uae and beyond gaga will be shipping over the full stage production of her show promising guests the full mother monster experience replete with bizarre set designs and over-the-top costumes.
the global tour will support the eccentric star’s third studio album artpop. the record released late last year included hits like apllause and g.u.y. but ultimately failed to match the sales of her previous best-selling work. organisers of the show are still confident that gaga’s mass appeal across the region will translate into a mad rush for tickets set to go on sale to the public this thursday.
“lady gaga is an ideal first show for our introduction in the middle east – a performer with influences from diverse cultures who is contemporary dynamic inclusive and a headline-maker” said chairman and ceo of ami live marco rios rios who helped secure the dubai show.
if sales for the upcoming concert reach fever pitch gaga may very well follow in the footsteps of madonna and announce a second show.
there’s still the matter of gaga’s controversial performances and bizarre behaviour that has already seen her banned in indonesia and china. her unapologetic history in the spotlight begs the obvious question: how far is she willing to go in dubai without sacrificing her art?
organisers have said they working close with the star to ensure that “cultural sensitivities” are respected here but given gaga’s previous statements of defiance regarding her creative license it seems that very little can be done to tone down the crazy.
dubai’s progressive and tolerant nature should work well in welcoming the singer’s first appearance in the arab world but for an entertainer whose entire career has been based on shock value people will just have to wait and witness the impending hysteria for themselves.
1) lady gaga graduated from convent of the sacred heart high school in new york city the same school that nicky and paris hilton attended.
2) her father joe germanotta pioneered the installation of wireless internet access in hotels when he started the company ‘guest wifi’ in 2002.
3) she dropped out of new york university when she was 19 to pursue her music career. ‘i thought i could teach myself about art better than the school could’ she told elle magazine.
4) gaga may be larger than life but she only stands at a mere 5’ 1” (155 centimetres) tall.
5) she learned to play the piano by ear at age 4 started composing original ballads when she was 13 and played live gigs at 14.