Saturday, 21 October 2017 01:12 GMT
img

Egypt's army acted independently June 30 - Al-Sisi

(MENAFN - Kuwait News Agency (KUNA)) Egypt's presidential candidate and former army chief Abdulfattah Al-Sisi reaffirmed Sunday that what the army did on last June 30 was a purely independent decision for the national interests. There was neither coordination nor cooperation with, nor encouragement from, any external powers, he said in the first part of an interview with Sky News TV channel aired tonight. He vowed the Egyptians will feel true change in a two-year time if he wins the elections and things go as planned. Al-Sisi assured the Egyptian public he had not planned the ousting of President Mohammad Morsi nor did he plan to become president. Rather, he reluctantly answered a call of duty as Egypt was headed for disaster. The referendum on the constitution earlier this year, he argued, showed him the people wanted him at the helm and so despite two assassination attempts, he decided to run. On the Muslim Brotherhood Group, he said "there is no rivalry between me and them" but they introduced themselves in a way that made the Egyptians unable to accept them. "They (the Brotherhood) turned the political disputes into religious ones, he said, noting that the Egyptians, whether Muslims or Christians, are religious people who need nobody to preach them in the name of religion. "Al-Azhar and the Church are solely responsible for outlining the religious discourse," he affirmed. Regarding the recent court verdicts against Brotherhood members, he said the judiciary is fully independent from the state and that he cannot comment on court rulings. Asked whether the country needs new laws, he said, the Egyptians need no more; they just need respect for, and implementation of, laws. When pushed about his strong military background and the possibility of the country being run as a military regime, he argued the military has had no role in Egyptian politics in decades. Al-Sisi pledged to respond to the public in case the people took to streets again after they did so on January 25, 2011, against former president Hosni Mubarak and against ousted president Morsi on June 30, 2013. Hamdeen Sabahi is the only person standing against Al-Sisi in the elections which are scheduled to take place on May 26 and 27.
Egypt's army acted independently June 30 - Al-Sisi