(MENAFN - Khaleej Times) Two bangladeshis and an egyptian died after inhaling carbon dioxide emanating from carelessly left running car engine.
the engine of a car left running caused the death of three workers in an automobile polishing workshop in abu shagara the second such incident in the emirate this year.
abdul gader al amri sharjah police forensic laboratory director said an investigation and forensic report showed the three men — two bangladeshis and an egyptian — had died after inhaling carbon dioxide emanating from the running engine.
a second egyptian working in the shop as a salesman told police he had left early tuesday when the three were sleeping on the upper storey of the workshop. when he came back and found the workshop still locked at first he tried to wake them up.
but when there was no response he informed the brother of one of the men inside. then they tried again to make the men wake up and open the door failing which the police were called.
following the call around 2pm a police team reached the place. they found two cars in the tiny workshop. the engine of one of them was running and hot to touch. the egyptian lay dead in the workshop.
on the upper floor where the four workers lived police found the bodies of the other two.
police said the bodies were found frozen which indicated the men had been exposed to toxic fumes. there were no signs of violence to indicate there was a criminal act behind the deaths.
forensic reports confirmed the workers all of them in their 30s had died of suffocation.
dr al amri said suffocation occurred due to lack of oxygen caused by the building up of carbon dioxide in the victims’ bloodstream. the quantity of carbon dioxide present in the men’s blood was found to be extraordinarily high. since carbon dioxide has neither smell nor colour the victims had no inkling of its deadly presence in their cramped quarters.
colonel sultan al khayal director of sharjah police’s media section said an awareness campaign will be launched to educate people about the hazards of toxic gas and how to take precautions to avoid such incidents.
this is the second case this year of people dying after inhaling toxic fumes. in the earlier incident two maids died of suffocation due to inhaling carbon dioxide after they lit a charcoal fire in their employer’s house to keep warm.
col al khayal has urged companies and industries to ensure safety measures are in place to provide a safe working atmosphere for their workers.
companies must adhere to the safety rules enforced by the authorities he said.