(MENAFN - Arab News) Former saudi diplomat and columnist dr. ali al-ghamdi described pakistan's thinker poet and philosopher dr. allama mohammad iqbal as one of the main architects of the two-nation theory which led to the creation of pakistan. 'some of his poems translated into arabic are considered best poems in the world" he said while speaking at the iqbal day event organized by the pakistan repatriation council (prc) in jeddah to mark the poet's 76th death anniversary.
al-ghamdi said: 'had iqbal been alive today i am sure he would not have accepted the plight of pakistanis stranded in bangladeshi camps for over 40 years."
he said that those who came to east pakistan in 1947 and sacrificed everything in the 1971 war were living in miserable conditions in camps.
al-ghamdi said that nawaz sharif has become prime minister for the third time and he must address this issue on a priority basis.
al-ghamdi gave a brief account of the meeting between a prc delegation and sen. raja zafrul haq general secretary of the world muslim congress convened by dr. abdullah omar naseef president of wmc in his office.
zafrul haq promised to submit prc's self-finance scheme of repatriation and rehabilitation of stranded pakistanis to sharif.
rohail a. khan social worker and chairman of urdu academy international paid rich tribute to iqbal.
hamid islam khan reiterated prc's slogan that 'pakistan is not complete without repatriation of stranded pakistanis and getting back kashmir."
among the key guests at the event were shahid nayeem president of pakistan journalists forum (pjf); syed rashid hussain a journalist; azeez ahmed secretary-general of pakistan engineers society; and syed ghazanfar hassan of engineers welfare forum.
tayyab moosani general secretary of pakistan memon association maqboolur rahman abbasi member of pjf mohammad amanatullah writer shamsuddin altaf of pakistan people's community syed shehabuddin and sheikh mohammad luqman businessman also spoke on the occasion.
syed ehsanul haque prc convener thanked the speakers and the gathering.
some of the resolutions passed on the occasion included:
1. establishment of iqbal research university to spread the message of iqbal and inform the new generation about the objectives of creating pakistan.
2. pakistan government should approach the un for plebiscite in kashmir according to its resolution. india should pull out its forces from the valley and kashmiri leadership should be included in all negotiations between india and pakistan.
3. sharif should create a new organization in case reactivation of rabita trust (frozen in october 2001) was not possible.
4. prc proposal of 'settlement of stranded pakistanis on self-finance basis" should be implemented to overcome paucity of funds. bangladesh should be included in the new organization to play its role in solving the issue.
5. the organization of islamic cooperation should include in its agenda the issue of the settlement of stranded pakistanis.
syed mohsin alavi and zamurrad khan saifi presented poetic tribute to iqbal. sher afzal presented a popular iqbal poem 'khudi."
the program was conducted by prc's press secretary syed musarrat khalil.