Tuesday, 12 December 2017 05:47 GMT
img

Britain denounces massacres S. Sudan

(MENAFN - Kuwait News Agency (KUNA)) The British government strongly condemned on Tuesday criminal acts by armed men in South Sudan, especially in Bentiu and Bor cities which resulted in killing hundreds of innocent civilians. "I condemn in the strongest possible terms the killings last week in Bentiu in South Sudan," Minister of State for Africa Affairs Mark Simmonds said in a statement. UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) has confirmed that large numbers of civilians were murdered when opposition forces took control of the town in what appear to have been ethnically motivated killings. "I also unreservedly condemn the attack on the UNMISS base in Bor last week which resulted in large numbers of internally displaced persons (IDPs) being killed and injured, again in an attack that looks to have been ethnically motivated," the minister said. "When I was in South Sudan last week, including visiting the Tom Ping IDP camp in Juba, reports of these attacks were just beginning to emerge. I called on all parties to the conflict to cease hostilities immediately and end the cycle of violence," Simmonds said. "I reiterate that call now. The deliberate killing of civilians and IDPs is a clear violation of international law and these crimes will be investigated and those responsible held to account," Simmonds added. "All inflammatory media statements by those in positions of influence in South Sudan must also cease. Not only those individuals perpetrating these atrocities, but those inciting them, will be held accountable," Simmonds said.


Britain denounces massacres S. Sudan

  Most popular stories  

Day | Week | Month