Monday, 25 September 2017 10:30 GMT

img

US condemns attack on civilians in Bentiu in S. Sudan

(MENAFN - Kuwait News Agency (KUNA)) The US on Tuesday condemned an attack on civilians in Bentiu, South Sudan, last week killing hundreds of people based on their ethnicity and nationality. "Those responsible for these atrocities must be held accountable," said State Department Spokesperson Jen Psaki told reporters. The State Department also said they were "alarmed" that Radio Bentiu FM contributed to broadcasting hate speech in the region. Two week ago President Barack Obama signed an executive order tools to implement sanctions. To this point Psaki stressed that "no individuals or entities have been sanctioned under this new authority yet. "We don't have any independent confirmation at this point of the cause or those responsible, but certainly are concern about what appears to be targeted killing. So we are continuing to look into it," she affirmed. This fighting has furthered ethnic tensions between President Salva Kiir's Dinka people and his former Deputy Riek Machar's Nuer people. Bentiu is regarded as the oil capital of the country.
US condemns attack on civilians in Bentiu in S. Sudan

More Stories

Newsletter