Monday, 18 December 2017 02:46 GMT
img

Shebab says latest suicide bomber was 60-year-old from Norway

(MENAFN -Khaleej Times) somalia?s al qaeda-linked shebaab rebels on wednesday identified a suicide car bomber who struck a town recently captured by african union troops as a 60-year-old somali man who held norwegian citizenship

The attack in buulo burde in the south of the country on tuesday targeted a hotel crowded with army officers and was followed by an assault by shebaab gunmen, leaving several dead, officials said.


“the attacker of buulo burde was a 60-year-old man who came from norway to fight the enemies of allah,” shebaab military spokesman sheikh abdul aziz abu musab said, naming the attacker as abdullahi ahmed abdulle, a norwegian national of somali origin.


“he paid the sacrifice in order to be close to allah by killing his enemies. the event is showing us that there is no age limit for jihad,” the spokesman said.


Norway’s pst intelligence service said they were investigating the report.


“in general, we are seeing a growing number of people leave norway to join militant islamist groups,” pst spokesman siv alsen said.


The attack is the latest by the shebaab, launched in apparent retaliation for a new offensive to root them out of areas of the war-torn country still under their control.


African union (au) soldiers, who are fighting the shebaab alongside somali government troops, captured the small town of buulo burde from the islamists last week.


The un-backed au force this month launched a fresh offensive against shebaab bases, with the gunmen largely fleeing ahead of the assault, only to later stage guerrilla attacks.


Shebaab fighters once controlled most of southern and central somalia but withdrew from fixed positions in mogadishu two years ago.


Recent shebaab attacks have targeted key areas of government or the security forces, in an apparent bid to discredit claims by the authorities that they are winning the war.


A norwegian citizen of somali origin, 23-year-old hassan abdi dhuhulow, is named in kenyan court documents as being one of the four shebaab attackers who stormed nairobi’s westgate mall six months ago, in which at least 67 people were killed.


for more news from khaleej times, follow us on facebook at facebook.com/khaleejtimes, and on twitter at ?khaleejtimes

follow ?khaleejtimes --


Shebab says latest suicide bomber was 60-year-old from Norway

  Most popular stories  

Day | Week | Month

FMEXPO