(MENAFN - Arab Times) Egypt's military-installed government resigned en masse Monday in a surprise move ahead of a presidential poll likely to bring defence minister and army chief Abdel Fattah al-Sisi to power. A limited reshuffle to allow Sisi to step down as defence minister and enter elections had been expected, but the en masse resignations led by the increasingly unpopular prime minister Hazem al-Beblawi surprised even some in the cabinet
Appointed in July after the military ousted Islamist president Mohamed Morsi, Beblawi's government came under pressure to step aside amid a worsening economy and a spate of militant attacks and labour strikes
The resignations might lead to a new cabinet without the baggage of Beblawi's government ahead of Sisi's expected run in the presidential election this spring. Sisi, who emerged as the country's most popular political figure after ending Morsi's divisive one-year rule, has not yet announced his candidacy, but aides say he has already decided to run and will make the announcement soon. The field marshal, who is the defence minister and first deputy prime minister in the outgoing cabinet, has to resign from the government and the army before he can officially announce his candidacy. Beblawi defended the government's performance in an address announcing the resignations. "The government assumed its responsibilities and duties... the government did not spare any efforts to get Egypt out of a bad phase," Beblawi said in reference to the security and economic problems. "This is not the time for personal interests.
The nation is above everybody." The cabinet said in a statement it resigned "in light of the current situation that the country is going through." The mass resignations could have been triggered by the pressure on Beblawi himself to step down. "If the prime minister resigns, then the whole cabinet resigns," Mustapha Kamel al-Sayyid, a political science professor at Cairo University, said. The resignations could also work in Sisi's favour, he added. "If Field Marshal Sisi decides to run, he would like to run with a government that has a good reputation and can help him by resolving some of the urgent problems faced by the people." Beblawi said his government would remain in a caretaker role until the interim president signs off on the resignations, the official MENA news agency reported. Government spokesman Hany Saleh told AFP that Monday's decision was taken because there was a "feeling that new blood is needed." The government's resignation came as Hamdeen Sabbahi, a prominent candidate for the election, told AFP he fears a return to autocracy in Egypt three years after its Arab Spring uprising.
While his chances of winning against Sisi are seen as slim, Sabbahi said he was urged to run by the young people who led the 2011 uprising that toppled longtime president Hosni Mubarak. They "feel that their revolution was being stolen... as their comrades were being jailed and some killed before their eyes," he said in an interview. In the more than seven months since Morsi's overthrow, Egypt has been battered by protests and militant attacks that have damaged its vital tourism industry and scared off investors. Beblawi's government has announced two stimulus packages funded by Arab Gulf states but still faces accusations of incompetence, even by many Sisi supporters