(MENAFN -Arab News) KABUL: The release of 65 alleged Taleban fighters in Afghanistan poses serious security concerns and sets back the rule of law, NATO head Anders Fogh Rasmussen said Thursday
“I am gravely concerned by the decision,” he said in a statement, noting that the released prisoners were alleged to have killed and wounded Afghan civilians, Afghan security forces and US-led NATO forces
Rasmussen said the decision appeared to have been “based on political calculations and... is a major step backwards for the rule of law in Afghanistan and poses serious security concerns.
The Afghan government has “to uphold the rule of law and to ensure the security of the country,” he said, calling on Kabul to make sure those released do not pose a further threat
The release had been ordered by President Hamid Karzai several weeks ago, after his government took over the prison from US troops
The decision had prompted angry denunciations from Washington and strained relations between the two countries ahead of the year-end withdrawal of most international combat troops. US forces in Afghanistan say the men have the blood of international and Afghan soldiers on their hands
The prisoners were freed just after 9 a.m. from the Parwan Detention Facility near Bagram Air Field, about 45 kilometers north of Kabul, according to prison spokesman Maj. Nimatullah Khaki
They boarded a bus to leave the facility, laughing and smiling, he said
The US has argued for the detainees to face trial in Afghan courts — citing strong evidence against them, fro DNA linking them to roadside bombs to explosive residue on their clothing — but Kabul has cited insufficient proof to hold them
Karzai, too, has referred to the Parwan prison as a “Taleban-producing factory” where innocent Afghans are tortured into hating their country
The US military late Wednesday night issued a strongly worded statement condemning the imminent release, which it said would include detainees directly linked to attacks that have killed or wounded 32 US or coalition personnel and 23 Afghan security personnel or civilians
Among those who were expected to walk free Thursday morning are Mohammad Wali, who the US military says is a suspected Taleban explosives expert who allegedly placed roadside bombs targeting Afghan and international forces. The military said Wali had been biometrically linked to two roadside explosions and had a latent fingerprint match on another improvised explosive device, as well as testing positive for explosives residue
Others in the group include Nek Mohammad — who the US says was captured with extensive weapons, and a man identified as Ehsanullah, who is claimed to have been biometrically matched to a roadside bomb and who tested positive for explosive residue
The US military had formally disputed the prisoners’ release, but an Afghan review board had effectively overruled those challenges
The detainees’ release has been in the works for weeks, and comes as Karzai’s government has taken an increasingly hostile tone toward the US ahead of the withdrawal of NATO combat troops at the end of 2014.