Wednesday, 25 April 2018 09:24 GMT
img

Clooney hopeful Europe will give panned movie fresh start



(MENAFN -Arab News) BERLIN: Hollywood star George Clooney said Saturday that he is hopeful European audiences will respond to his light-touch wartime drama “The Monuments Men” after it got a mauling from US critics. Clooney presented the picture at the 64th Berlin film festival about a real-life corps of middle-aged art experts who go behind enemy lines to rescue precious works from the Nazis, one day after it opened in US cinemas.He said the film had been in the works for three years so the “amazing find” in Munich that emerged in November of a hoard of hundreds of missing artworks believed looted by the Nazis had been pure coincidence.Initial feedback has been savage, with film industry bible Variety flaying the picture as an “exceedingly dull and dreary caper pic” while the New York Times called Clooney’s direction “stolid” and “pandering.”Asked by an American reviewer whether he thought the movie, his fifth as a director, would get a “different” reception in Europe where the film is set, Clooney said: “We’ll see. This is our first city, the first screening was today. We hope good things."The presence of the 52-year-old Clooney, who is arguably an even bigger star in Europe than in his native United States, touched off a frenzy at the festival.A filled-to-the-rafters press screening, which had to be interrupted when a member of the audience required medical attention for a stroke, gave way to a near-melee to get into the subsequent news conference, as hundreds of fans thronged the streets to catch a glimpse of Clooney.


Clooney hopeful Europe will give panned movie fresh start

  Most popular stories  

Day | Week | Month