(MENAFN - Arab News) An officer with the security patrols in the province of Qatif suffered injuries on his left thigh after being shot at by an unidentified man in the town of Taroot. He was rushed to the hospital for immediate medical care.
Even as security forces intensified the search for the culprit, several sources said a in a stolen car had been arrested, and he is believed to be involved in the shooting.
According to Col. Ziad Alriqaiti, police media spokesman for the Eastern Region, the security officer was shot in the leg during a security patrol around in Taroot at around 11:30 p.m. on Saturday.
Meanwhile, the Interior Ministry has announced a list of 23 individuals wanted for involvement in riots in Qatif in Eastern Province in January, 2012. Following the announcement, three men - Shah Ali Al Shoukan, Hussein Ali Abdullah Albrki, and Musa Ja'far Muhammad Almabyooq came forward and surrendered themselves.
Two others were arrested, but their names were withheld for investigation purposes, and later, another wanted individual, Ali Mohamed Mahdi Khalfan, also surrendered before the police in Taroot, he said.
In the case of another incident later on March 2012, when security patrols in Alawamiya town were exposed to heavy fire, initial investigations implicated Mohammed Saleh Abdullah Alzanadi, number 17 on the wanted list, in the shooting that resulted in injuries to three security men. Security forces received information that the culprit had come to a hospital in critical condition with a bullet wound he received during the exchange of fire with security forces.
The Interior Ministry, on numerous occasions, said security forces perform their duties and deal with wanted individuals as per regulations. The ministry called on those who are wanted for investigation for their involvement in the riots to surrender and to clarify where they stand, and such actions will be considered while determining their cases.
Meanwhile, the Specialized Criminal Court which held the trial for the Qatif riots, handed out an initial verdict of 15-year jail sentence and a travel ban for the same duration to individuals convicted for their participation in rallies, throwing Molotov cocktails and pelting stones at security men and patrol vehicles.
They were also sentenced for covering up other individuals who stole vehicles and tried to escape with them during the riots, and those who stole machine guns from the security forces and associated with wanted individuals. Individuals who opened fire on security personnel were also sentenced.