(MENAFN - Khaleej Times) Pressurised liquid gas used in filling a lighter got accumulated in the car when two men were snorting it to get intoxicated.
A car burst into flames after liquid gas from a cigarette lighter got ignited when a man inside lit a cigarette.
The police said two young Arab men were snorting the liquid gas in their car when it caught fire. The car was close to Ajman's Nuaimiya Towers at the time of the accident.
A senior police official on Sunday said pressurised liquid gas used in filling a lighter got accumulated in the car when the two men were snorting it to get intoxicated.
Lt-Col Khalid Mohammed Al Nuaimi, Chief of the Nuaimiya Police Station, said the duo admitted to sniffing the inflammable gas, saying they were addicted to it. "The car burst into flames after one of the two men lit a cigarette," he said.
The Central Operations Room of the Ajman Police immediately dispatched civil defence officials, police and rescue teams to the spot. Later, traffic patrols and CID officers were summoned to secure and investigate the scene.
Lt-Col Al Nuaimi said the mishap took place at about 1am on Sunday. "The car caught fire, following which the two men managed to escape. They sustained minor burn injuries and were shifted to Khalifa Hospital for treatment and medical care. They are in a stable condition now," he said.