(MENAFN - Khaleej Times) The civil defence rescue team at the industrial area of the Red Island, Al Jazeera Al Hamra, saved the life of an expatriate who had 'swallowed' his tongue.
The 50-year-old Arab resident, identified as M.N.A., suddenly started shivering, 'swallowed' his tongue and lost consciousness. His tongue had slipped back against the pharynx causing him to choke.
The Central Operations Room of the RAK Police after being tipped off at about 11am, dispatched a rescue team who shifted the man to the nearest medical centre. The medical team quickly cleared his airway, and saved his life.
"I owe deep thanks to the medics and friends who responded to my condition, and above all to Almighty Allah," said M.N.A.
People have been advised to immediately alert the rescue teams in any case of emergency.
House in flames
Meanwhile, a 16-year-old Emirati woman escaped death after a huge fire broke out in her house at Al Dheit South area early on Tuesday.
The brave young woman managed to move her old mother to safety before the house was completely gutted down.
Civil Defence sources here said the Central Operations Room of the RAK Police was alerted by an Emirati national about the inferno at around 2am on Tuesday.
The three rooms of the house were filled with smoke and the firefighters successfully contained the fire.
"The firefighters first sucked out the smoke out of the rooms and extinguished the blaze which was apparently caused due to a short circuit," the defence sources said.
They added that it took the firefighters around two hours to put out the fire which totally destroyed everything in the hall.