(MENAFN - Arab News) Ten Saudis are still being held at the Guantanamo Bay prison in Cuba, the Ministry of Interior announced Wednesday.
The revelation follows the United States releasing two prisoners recently. They are Saad Mohammad Hussein Al-Qahtani and Hamoud Abdullah Hamoud.
Maj. Gen. Mansour Al-Turki, spokesman for the Interior Ministry, said 10 prisoners remained in detention. Efforts are under way to secure their release, he said.
"The United States coordinated with the Saudi government to ensure the humane and dignified transfer of the detainees, under an appropriate security framework," he said.
Hassan Al-Mefleh Al-Qahtani, younger brother of the freed Saa, said Interior Minister Prince Muhammad bin Naif was the first person to inform him of his brother's release.
He said he did not know how his brother left the country. "We heard that he traveled with an international organization in 2002.
We received some letters from the Red Cross in 2003 saying my brother had been arrested and was in Guantanamo."
"From then on, we communicated through letters facilitated by the Red Crescent. Later, we communicated via telephone and Skype. We haven't noticed any torture marks on him," he said.
Saad was born in 1979. His father died in a car accident in 1985, while his mother died in 2007. He graduated with honors from high school.