Quotes: US MENA   Enter Symbol: NewsLetter: Search: advanced

Saudi - Experts call for safe disposal of wastes  Join our daily free Newsletter

MENAFN - Arab News - 08/12/2013

No. of Ratings : 0
Add to Mixx!


 


(MENAFN - Arab News) Dr. Abdulmuhsin Alwan, director general of Environmental and Occupational Health of the Eastern Province, has said that there is tremendous potential for investment in the management and disposal of medical wastes in the Kingdom, which is currently pegged at SR500 million.
"Real opportunities exist for successful investments in this area be it in terms of expansion of existing treatment plants, introduction of new processing techniques or provision of skilled manpower," Dr. Alwan said, addressing a forum.
He said medical waste is a potential repository for harmful bacteria that can infect patients, health workers and community members and as such, safety of environment is a corner-stone in any investment.
He said 80 percent of wastes in medical centers are considered normal wastes similar to home waste and the remaining 20 percent is potentially dangerous.
Head of Environmental Studies at Eastern Region Governorate Eng Fahad Abdulmuhsin said a Saudi citizen produces solid wastes estimated at more than one kilogram a day.
He said human solid wastes are normally generated from homes, workshops, markets, and restaurants but disposal of wastes is not carried out properly.
He called for partnership between the public and private sectors so as to preserve environment and for safe disposal of dangerous and non-dangerous wastes.
Head of Hygiene Department at the Royal Commission for Jubail (RCY) Eng Mani Al-Harshan enumerated the types of wastes in Jubail city including dangerous and non-dangerous industrial wastes.
Representative of Saudi Aramco Hamoud Al-Otaibi said successful investment in industrial waste management lies in the adoption of proper scientific methods, operational expertise, safe disposal locations, and investment partnership between the parties concerned.
Head of Environmental Engineering at Dammam University Dr. Omar Agha exploring safe and sustainable investment in disposal of industrial waste, called for an awareness campaign on minimizing waste production.

 






  MENA News Headlines


 






Google

 
 

Middle East North Africa - Financial Network

MENAFN News Market Data Countries Tools Section  
 

Middle East North Africa - Financial Network
Arabic MENAFN

Main News
News By Industry
News By Country
Marketwatch News
UPI News
Comtex News

IPO News
Islamic Finance News
Private Equity News

How-To Guides
Technology Section

Travel Section

Search News

Market Indices
Quotes & Charts

Global Indices
Arab Indices

US Markets Details

Commodoties

Oil & Energy

Currencies Cross Rates
Currencies Updates
Currency Converter

USA Stocks
Arab Stocks
 

Algeria 
Bahrain 
Egypt 
Iraq
Jordan 
Kuwait 
Lebanon
Morocco 
Oman 
Palestine
Qatar 
Saudi Arabia 
Syria
Tunisia 
UAE 
Yemen

Weather
Investment Game
Economic Calendar
Financial Glossary

My MENAFN
Portfolio Tracker

Voting

Financial Calculators

RSS Feeds [XML]

Corporate Monitor

Events

Real Estate
Submit Your Property

Arab Research
Buy a Research

Press Releases
Submit your PR

Join Newsletters


 
© 2000 menafn.com All Rights Reserved.  Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Advertise | About MENAFN | Career Opportunities | Feedback | Help